Tuesday, November 15, 2011

I thought that this last week was a very interesting class. The case study on ethics really made me think what I would do in those situations and how my values would play out in  real world situations. I think it is especially important to us as BYU students to have set values and ethics because we end up representing more than just ourselves and our businesses. I think that ethics are chosen and that we simply have to cement out ethics now so that when situations arise it is an easy choice what we will do in any given situation. 
I think that case studies are the best way to learn what our ethical standards are and how we need to change them. According to the Indiana State School of Journalism,  journalist ethics come down to four things: 1. Seek Truth and Report It, 2. Minimize Harm, 3. Be Accountable, and 4. Act Independently. http://journalism.indiana.edu/resources/ethics/
In our case study in class, my group talked about the guy mowing the lawn naked. When we were talking about it we found it relatively easy to figure out what we would do; however, it became harder when people started asking questions and we became responsible for our choices. It seems obvious that newspapers should only print pictures that enhance their story. In this case it seems that the paper printed such a large and questionable picture for shock value. I think that it was unnecessary. http://www.spj.org/ethicscode.asp
I think that the biggest worry for me is peoples online ethics when their not accountable to anyone. I’m interested to see how that effects their stories and coverage. Here is some informations on online ethics. http://www.ojr.org/ojr/wiki/ethics/

No comments:

Post a Comment